Today, Office 365 and G Suite are some of the most commonly used cloud-based emailing services by millions of users worldwide. Users often utilize the free storage offered to store their crucial information and data. It can be photos, videos, etc. However, due to specific requirements, users look to change their emailing service; thus, migration needs arise. If you are using G Suite and looking for a way to migrate Google Drive to OneDrive, you might suddenly be confused about selecting the best and most reliable approach.
Moving the cloud storage to another platform is not at all an easy task, as there is a need to take precautions because of the data involved in it. However, here, we have described a better and safer technique through which users can easily complete the migration of the data stored in their cloud storage.
Why user looks to migrate Google Drive to OneDrive?
More and more users are creating a copy of their data in the cloud storage provided by many cloud-based emailing services. The reasons behind them are they offer better data safety, and the user will get a chance to create their account at no cost and get some storage space to save their data. However, there are many reasons that users look to migrate Google Drive to OneDrive because of the below-listed reasons:-
- Many users own their accounts in both Google Drive and OneDrive and are looking to transfer their data from one to another.
- Some users look to transfer Google Drive to OneDrive because of the price of purchasing the additional storage space.
Whatever will be your reasons, we will share some of the top ways that will help you to make the migration easily.
How to Migrate Google Drive data into OneDrive?
Well, there are different approaches that users can use to migrate Google Drive to OneDrive, but we have only shared some of the most commonly used.
Downloading data from Google Drive locally and Upload into OneDrive
This is one of the simplest methods out of all manual methods for users who are looking to moving from Google Drive to OneDrive, to follow this strategy, kindly check out below the step-by-step procedure:-
- The initial step in the migration is to open Google Drive in your browser.
- Kindly log into your Gmail account in order to open your account.
- Click on the Google app icon to open up a list of applications. Click On the Drive app.
- Now, choose the required document, right-click on it, and click on the download option.
- Once done, kindly check on the downloaded data in your system.
- Open the OneDrive and log in with your credentials.
- Make sure to click on the My Files on the left side of it.
- Click on + New in order to create a new folder to save the data.
- At last, open the newly created folder and click the Upload button.
- Then, a wizard will appear; kindly select the data you want to transfer. After selecting, you need to click on the Open button.
Limitations of this method:-
- Needs to carry out the downloading and uploading of data manually.
- There is no room for mistakes as it can delay the data transfer process.
Use Google Takeout To Move data from Google Drive to OneDrive
It is another solution that users can employ to transfer Google Drive to OneDrive by following a few steps. To know about how to make use of it to make the data transfer, look at below:-
- Open the browser and search for the Google Takeout.
- You will be asked to sign in if you are logged into your account.
- Now, kindly click on the Deselect all option, and only select the Android Device Configuration Service option.
- After that, in the Transfer, kindly select the Add to OneDrive option. Also, set the frequency, file size, type, and click on link accounts, and create the export button.
- You need to log in to your Microsoft 365 account, and in the manage your export window, kindly click on the Open in OneDrive option.
Limitations of the Google Takeout Method
- This method does not able to transfer the shared document of the Google Drive. If the user needs to migrate shared documents, then first, they need to download them and save them into a folder.
- The migration may take up to several days.
Use Third-Party Software to Transfer data from Google Drive into OneDrive
Make use of the Shoviv Cloud Drive Migrator software, which can manage the migration of multiple users drives at a single time. This software allows to migrate Google Drive to OneDrive with all the data stored in the user drive. It also comes with an advanced data filter option with several criteria like filter size, extension, date range, etc.
This software also allows users to schedule the migration periodically, like daily, weekly, and monthly. In addition, it also supports an incremental export facility, which promises to transfer the newer data in case the user resumes the migration.
To know how this software allows moving from Google Drive to OneDrive, kindly explore the below-cited process:-
- Open the Shoviv Cloud Drive Migrator software on your system.
- Once opened, kindly create the connection of Google Drive and OneDrive with the software.
- Now, click on the Google Drive to OneDrive tab and click on the Create Job button.
- Here, enter the migration job, after adding the existing Google Drive and OneDrive project, click on the Next button.
- If you map the user with itself, you can use the Map user option; otherwise, click Next to continue.
- After that, you can use the filter option to process the selective data based on various filter criteria.
- The last step is to use the migration scheduling option, and after that, the software will start migrating the user data.
The final Word
The choice of the method to migrate Google Drive to OneDrive will solely depend upon the user’s requirements. However, various things must be considered while opting for the migration method. This blog aims to solve the confusion for users when choosing the migration approach. Also, users can try the free trial version of the third-party software to check their efficiency.